Search This Blog

Friday, April 1, 2011

Off to Kamanjab


Today, March 24, I finally got more info about my next two years and I got to meet my supervisor. I must say I’m excited, but obviously nervous and a little confused. I’m sure the Peace Corps knows why they’re sending me there, but there are others who seem more qualified. I am going to make the most of the two years and to quote a good friend and fellow PCV Helen Burns, Keetmanshoop “use what you have and do the most good.”

I was supposed to leave today, but due to a delay, I’ll be leaving tomorrow. I’m actually glad, I was able to repack (I was told to pack a little differently), relax a bit and distress. I’m hoping that tomorrow will be a better day for travel anyways. I’m told that Kamanjab is about six hours from Okahandja. I also have to stop in one of the bigger cities on the way to get a few things to give to the family. I’ll be spending the week with a different family, I’ll be leaving my awesome family in Okahandja L, and will then return for at least another six weeks after I’m sworn in on April 15, 2011. After that I’ll have an apartment to live in.

So now for the important stuff, info about my next two years!
Pots of Hope has two main goals: income generation and information awareness/ behavior change. The first goal is to train people to make pottery to gain financial independence, which can better their lives with respect to HIV. The second is to focus on gender-based violence education, HIV/AIDS awareness, and reduction of stigma and discrimination.

My main role is to: help design programs and address issues such as gender-based violence to help community link gender, culture and HIV/AIDS. My secondary role is to participate in community dialogues to help the community realize the power to make meaningful changes in their lives. I hope to add a third goal of gardening to help with food security as a part of financial independence.

So there you have it. I realize that this is quite vague, but I’m happy to have some info. I can tell you that the people I’ve met so far and the things I’m hearing are phenomenal. There definitely seems to be no limit to what I can accomplish, but I’ll have to try my hardest to not get too eager or burn out. Might be easier said than done! I’ll try to post more later when I know more, perhaps a picture or two.

1 comment:

  1. This all sounds GREAT! Yes, definitely pace yourself so you don't get burned out and to help you stay focused on the various projects. It will be an amazing two years!

    ReplyDelete