Search This Blog

Friday, April 1, 2011

A Tennessee Stallion


I was fortunate enough to take a trip to Windhoek to the U.S. Embassy to meet the staff and show me off like a prized stallion. I definitely didn’t mind, it was prestigious and I like Windhoek. Due to all of the embassy issues America has had over the years, the road that it’s located on can not be driven on and there are barricades, which made it feel like a sketchy dark alley way. There weren’t many things I could take pictures of, but I managed to get a picture of the press background that has the US seal and said “US Embassy Windhoek.” There was a lot of security to get in, but it’s nice to know about it incase I need anything while I’m here. Unfortunately I didn’t get to meet the ambassador but I’ll have plenty of time to meet her. We then went to the cultural center and met with the PR person for the embassy. We’re planning events that we hope to have the ambassador to come to and it’s always good PR. It was great to meet so many caring people. I spent the night in Windhoek at a nice motel and I even had KFC! I must say it’s much better than in America. The place was cleaner and the food was AMAZING. You know I’d never say that about KFC. I had two pieces and didn’t feel like I was going to have a heart attack.

Getting around and out of Windhoek was a nightmare. If you think American Taxis are bad, come here. I miss them so much! Basically, most of them drive older cars, think 1980’s Toyotas or VW Golfs, and they’re all in some state of disrepair. It’s also scary to know if they’re licensed or just some dude with a car. The license from the City of Windhoek, is a few big sticker decals on the back window that has a letter and a number such as B35. But who’s to say you don’t just buy the stickers and make something up? Then, they’ll make up pricing, so you can’t plan on the cost until you’re in the cab and ask. The last and worst complaint, besides the fact that they are terrible TERRIBLE drivers, is the fact that they will always have all of the seats full! If there is an empty seat and someone hails them, they will pull over and pick them up. Sometimes, they’ll pick up people that aren’t exactly on the way to your destination and make a detour and then drop you off! It’s insane. You’ll always be in a crowded little car and the only way you’ll make it to your appointment on time is to leave quite early or to pray that the others are all going to a similar area. You also have to hope that the passengers you’re with don’t smell terrible! Not to mention that it costs per person not per trip.

The skyline of Windhoek from Independence Ave.
So then I had to take a Taxi from Windhoek to Okahandja that was terrible. A taxi drove me to a drop off point where you’ll find taxis that take you outside of the city. I was warned about these places. Once the taxi stops, you’ll be swarmed by men and you have to watch your bags. Not because they’ll be stolen but once they have them its hard to get them back without taking that taxi. Plus the taxi usually has friends or family and tries to pawn you off on them for a higher price. It was difficult to make sure I had all of my bags, it was annoying because men were trying to get me into their taxi to go to a different city when I told them where I needed to go. They just wouldn’t listen. I was finally able to secure my bags and find a taxi that was reasonably priced, but we had to wait till the car was full! While I waited I was hassled by other taxi drivers trying to get me to switch to their car. I think the whole process of getting a taxi and waiting was like 45 minutes. Thankfully we left and made it home without incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment