Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2011

From Okahandja to Kamanjab


After a long and stressful week, one where there was an oral exam/interview (passed with flying colors) in Afrikaans, I have finally learned my final site for my 2 years of service once I’m an official PC Volunteer. There is a town in southwest Namibia called Kamanjab. (Kah-man-yab) I wish I could tell you much more than that, but I don’t even know. I can tell you, assuming my sources are correct, that I’ll be doing income-generating projects for women. Next week, I’ll know more and can give you all of the details. What I can tell you is that I should have all of the amenities, while still being quite rural. I’ll be near the Himba, Herero and Damara people. Google those three people, they’re amazing. The Himba were featured in the documentary “Babies.” The Damara speak a language that is based on clicks! I wasn’t designated to learn that language as I am Afrikaans, but I will get a chance to learn some of it and Otjiherero, the language spoken by the Herero. I am really excited about this site. I didn’t think that this would have been an option, but I am really excited! I’m also near the picturesque Etosha National Park and the Skeleton Coast. Not to mention I’m near the Angolan boarder, which has many pretty waterfalls.


Next week I should know more and on Friday I’ll actually get to visit for a week. I’ll have transportation provided to Kamanjab, but will have to find my way back on the 31st of March. I am surrounded by other volunteers, both in my “class” and not, but those in my class will meet up along the way and travel back. Wish me luck!


4 comments:

  1. For more info... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamanjab

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome!! I'm so excited for you! Can't wait til next week to hear more about your new assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are safe and excited about your assignment! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Chad! When you get a chance, let us know how things are going now that you are in Kamanjab! :) Can't wait to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete