Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Goeiemôre from Namibia


I won’t know where my “site” will be until the 18th of March, but I am one step closer to getting there! I’ve learned that I am going to learn Afrikaans. I am excited to learn this interesting language and I am excited that I will be able to use this outside of Namibia as it is also widely spoken in South Africa and a little bit into Botswana.

I’m also excited to learn this language because it is based off Dutch and there are many words taken from English, so I can already read it and get a rough idea what’s going on. (Speaking/hearing it is a whole ‘nother story!) It will still be a big challenge though! There are many sounds that I’ve never made before and, to quote my Afrikaans teacher Zorro, it’s not good Afrikaans unless EVERY “R” is rolled! (For those who don’t know, I CAN’T roll my “R”s) One of the most common sounds that I’m not used to but can at least make is that throat clearing sound.



One thing they’ve done to help me learn the language, for the  remainder of my time in training before I’m sworn in as an official Peace Corps Volunteer in April, is to spend the time with a host family. I’ve moved in with a GREAT family that speaks both Afrikaans and English very well. They are amazing people and really have taken me in and made me a part of their family. I’ve only had a few lessons and I’ve been making good progress. My host mother is a primary teacher and she expects me to be the best in my class. It also helps that I am the 8th volunteer they have had. They still keep in touch with their previous volunteers and still see them occasionally.

This weekend, I’ll be going into Windhoek to get my cell phone and internet! We are also going to sight see and learn more about the city. Tomorrow (Friday 26th) We’re going to have a brief history lesson about Namibia. It will be nice to know the history to better understand Namibia.

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry, I"m not headed to a hospital and there wasn't a fire in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's soooo GREAT to hear about all of your wonderful experiences!! What is a "Primary Teacher" there? Like a school teacher or church teacher like over here? I was bummed that I missed when you got on FB! But I'm glad that you got to "chat" with Derek and Torrie. :) I know I'll be able to chat with you soon. Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we had known it in advance, we would have had more "rolling R" evenings:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rolling Rs is in your blood! It is part of your heritage, so I know you'll do great if you dig deep! :)

    ReplyDelete